AMANCIO ORTEGA has replaced Bill Gates as the richest man in the world.
The owner of Inditex fashion group, which includes Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull & Bear, has seen his net worth increase to €69.5 billion, just above Bill’s estimated €68.9 billion.
Born in Leon just before Spain’s civil war in 1936, the 80-year-old Spaniard once revealed he was ‘hurt and humiliated’ as a child when his mother was refused credit at a bank.
He left school at 13 to begin work in a clothing shop and vowed to never let his family suffer poverty again.
After working with several retailers, Ortega founded Zara in his living room with ex-wife Rosalia Mera in the 1960’s.
He listened to his employees and managers to ask them what the fashions were and what people were buying.
He also kept his manufacturers in Spain, Portugal, Turkey and Morocco so he could change styles and order more popular products more quickly.
Inditex’s model, based on an established local supply chain, has seen almost unprecedented success.
The company has now created Zara, Zara Home, Pull & Bear, Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Stradivarius, Oysho and Uterque, and has more than 7,000 stores worldwide.
But despite his overwhelming success, Ortega is said to have remained frugal and down to earth, eating lunch with his employees in the staff canteen, buying coffee from the same cafe for years and dressing in the same blazer and shirt every day – neither of them from Zara.
While he owns a yacht, it measures 40m and is said to not reflect his wealth.
His life is notoriously private and is said to revolve around his children and grandchildren.
He rarely ventures far from his home in A Coruna and is said to prefer no fuss when he strolls around La Marina.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43