SPAIN’S constitutional court has overturned a ban on bullfighting in Catalonia, declaring it unconstitutional.
The court argued that bullfighting is part of Spanish heritage and that any decision on banning it must only be made by central government.
Catalonia banned the bloody sport in 2010, claiming it was incompatible with the region’s tradition.
Animal rights activists will now be concerned that the precedent set could see bans in other regions reversed.
The Canary Islands were the first to ban the tradition, while the Balearic Islands and several Spanish municipalities are currently debating doing the same.
The move to overturn Catalonia’s ban is likely inspire those who are already calling for the region’s independence from Spain.
- Body of British expat dad pulled from submerged car in reservoir in Spain after he vanished three months ago - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:03
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37