The 296-year-old Royal Tapestry Factory in Madrid hit trouble when the market for hand-woven tapestries and rugs plummeted during Spain’s financial crisis.
Its tapestries and rugs can be seen in every palace of the Spanish Crown, including the Royal Palace, the Palace of El Pardo, Aranjuez Palace and the Riofrio Palace.
King Felipe V first founded the factory to make the Spanish palaces more comfortable.
“It was now or never,” said Maria Pardo, a Madrid city council official who announced with the regional government and the Ministry of Culture an increase in annual subsidies to €1.5m next year from €900,000 euros.
The factory barely received any public money before 2015.
The cash has allowed the factory, which restores historical pieces as well as taking on new orders, to pay delayed wages.
The revived company, which holds a priceless collection of tapestry templates by Spanish artists including Francisco de Goya, has had to almost double its staff to 60 to deal with new orders.
The German regional government of Saxony has recently commissioned 32 tapestries, the factory’s biggest order in the last two centuries.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37