The 296-year-old Royal Tapestry Factory in Madrid hit trouble when the market for hand-woven tapestries and rugs plummeted during Spain’s financial crisis.
Its tapestries and rugs can be seen in every palace of the Spanish Crown, including the Royal Palace, the Palace of El Pardo, Aranjuez Palace and the Riofrio Palace.
King Felipe V first founded the factory to make the Spanish palaces more comfortable.
“It was now or never,” said Maria Pardo, a Madrid city council official who announced with the regional government and the Ministry of Culture an increase in annual subsidies to €1.5m next year from €900,000 euros.
The factory barely received any public money before 2015.
The cash has allowed the factory, which restores historical pieces as well as taking on new orders, to pay delayed wages.
The revived company, which holds a priceless collection of tapestry templates by Spanish artists including Francisco de Goya, has had to almost double its staff to 60 to deal with new orders.
The German regional government of Saxony has recently commissioned 32 tapestries, the factory’s biggest order in the last two centuries.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40