The 296-year-old Royal Tapestry Factory in Madrid hit trouble when the market for hand-woven tapestries and rugs plummeted during Spain’s financial crisis.
Its tapestries and rugs can be seen in every palace of the Spanish Crown, including the Royal Palace, the Palace of El Pardo, Aranjuez Palace and the Riofrio Palace.
King Felipe V first founded the factory to make the Spanish palaces more comfortable.
“It was now or never,” said Maria Pardo, a Madrid city council official who announced with the regional government and the Ministry of Culture an increase in annual subsidies to €1.5m next year from €900,000 euros.
The factory barely received any public money before 2015.
The cash has allowed the factory, which restores historical pieces as well as taking on new orders, to pay delayed wages.
The revived company, which holds a priceless collection of tapestry templates by Spanish artists including Francisco de Goya, has had to almost double its staff to 60 to deal with new orders.
The German regional government of Saxony has recently commissioned 32 tapestries, the factory’s biggest order in the last two centuries.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22