MARIANO RAJOY has slammed Andalucian chief Susana Diaz while claiming the region needs ‘better leaders’.
The Spanish prime minister made the comments during a meeting with Andalucia’s Partido Popular leader Juan Manuel Moreno.
Rajoy said: “Andalucia has all it needs to be at the forefront of Spain and Europe.
“The only thing it needs are better leaders, that work for the common interest and don’t just dedicate themselves to cementing their party in power.”
Moreno, who will be running unchallenged for re-election as the region’s PP leader, later added that Diaz is ‘not compatible’ with her current role.
“While she dithers around, Andalucia is bleeding,” he said.
It is not yet known if Diaz will run to be head of the Junta again in 2019, as she continues to weigh up running for national leader of the PSOE.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13