THE fires currently raging in Huelva may have destroyed years of conservation work for one of the world’s most endangered species.
It comes after handlers of the Iberian Lynx at the El Acebuche breeding centre were forced to release the adult animals into the wild while taking the young to another facility.
The big cat was nearing extinction a decade ago, but following a ten-year conservation programme that brought hunters, farmers and the tourist industry under its wing, its numbers had tripled from 94 to 312 by 2014.
The El Acebuche breeding centre was the first to be built in a group of four in 2005, followed by La Olivilla in Jaen (2007), Silves in Portugal (2009), and Zarza de Grandilla in Caceres (2011).
It is seen as integral to the EU-supported breeding programme.
Some 550 firefighters are continuing to fight the blaze, which began in Moguer on Saturday night.
The inferno is threatening Sevilla’s Donana National Park, considered to be one of Europe’s most important wetlands.
Arson has not been ruled out.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40