POLICIA Nacional have arrested two people for animal abuse after rescuing four malnourished and dehydrated horses in Velez-Malaga.
A 40-year-old man and neighbour of the Axarquia locality were cuffed on suspicion of continued animal abuse.
Following a tip-off from a local resident, an inspection carried out at the finca also revealed a corpse of a young mule, about one year old, with signs of having suffered prolonged abuse and neglect.
Veterinary reports verified the unhealthy conditions in which all five horses lived on the land, located in the Zamorana estate.
One of the horses was found outside its stable and tied by the neck with a rope to a thick chain without water or food, other than some tomatoes scattered on the ground.
Another was found in a stable without water or food and with symptoms of being left alone for months.
The owner was arrested for animal abuse, lack of nutrition and veterinary care of animals, as well as the omission of legal duties.
The horses are being brought back to health by specialist vets in Fuente de Piedra.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05