POLICIA Nacional have arrested two people for animal abuse after rescuing four malnourished and dehydrated horses in Velez-Malaga.
A 40-year-old man and neighbour of the Axarquia locality were cuffed on suspicion of continued animal abuse.
Following a tip-off from a local resident, an inspection carried out at the finca also revealed a corpse of a young mule, about one year old, with signs of having suffered prolonged abuse and neglect.
Veterinary reports verified the unhealthy conditions in which all five horses lived on the land, located in the Zamorana estate.
One of the horses was found outside its stable and tied by the neck with a rope to a thick chain without water or food, other than some tomatoes scattered on the ground.
Another was found in a stable without water or food and with symptoms of being left alone for months.
The owner was arrested for animal abuse, lack of nutrition and veterinary care of animals, as well as the omission of legal duties.
The horses are being brought back to health by specialist vets in Fuente de Piedra.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14