CATALONIA leaders are facing criminal charges after paving the way for an independence referendum earlier today.
Spanish prosecutor Jose Manuel Maza told reporters that ‘criminal charges are being prepared’ against leaders of the Catalan parliament as well as officials in the regional government.
Maza also said judicial officials would be ordered ‘to seize the effects or material intended to prepare or hold the illegal referendum’.
He added that regional prosecutors, assisted by national and Catalan police had been told to investigate any actions taken to organise the vote, with potential charges of ‘disobedience’, ‘prevarication’ (wilful deceit) and ‘misuse of public funds’.
Meanwhile, Spain PM Mariano Rajoy said Catalan leaders had committed an ‘intolerable act of disobedience’ in approving the referendum, and that his government was asking Spain’s Constitutional Court to annul the referendum law.
He also said all municipalities in the region would be warned over their ‘obligation to impede or paralyse’ efforts to carry out the vote.
A Catalan government spokesman has since insisted that the referendum will go ahead despite a ‘covert state of siege’ being imposed Madrid.
“Whether it’s snowy or windy, we will do it because we have a contract with the citizens of Catalonia,” Jordi Turull said.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52