MORE than 40 works by famed Galician artist Francisco Leiro have gone on display in Malaga.
Leiro was part of the Surrealist group Foga in the 1970s and held his first solo exhibition at the Cultural Society of Cambados in 1975, at the young age of 18.
At the end of the 1980s he moved to New York where he focused on abstract art.
Now, three decades later, his latest exhibition, featuring huge human-like statues, tackles with wars, disasters and violence.
The works ‘Requiem’ (2005), ‘Operario’ (2009), and ‘Aleppo’ (2016) place the viewers inside moments from different massacres and wars.
For the curator of the exhibition, Fernando Frances, Leiro ‘is clearly one of the firm examples of when art is a commitment to living.’
“Leiro commits himself to retelling the massacres, the injustices, the murders, the excessive violence in the world and transfers these stories to his sculptures,” he said.
But local stories are also reimagined, with statues of builders tying their shoelaces and pieces like ‘Supervisor and three haulers’.
The ‘Leiro’ exhibition is on show now at the Center of Contemporary Art of Malaga, CAC, until January 7, 2018.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31