MORE than 40 works by famed Galician artist Francisco Leiro have gone on display in Malaga.
Leiro was part of the Surrealist group Foga in the 1970s and held his first solo exhibition at the Cultural Society of Cambados in 1975, at the young age of 18.
At the end of the 1980s he moved to New York where he focused on abstract art.
Now, three decades later, his latest exhibition, featuring huge human-like statues, tackles with wars, disasters and violence.
The works ‘Requiem’ (2005), ‘Operario’ (2009), and ‘Aleppo’ (2016) place the viewers inside moments from different massacres and wars.
For the curator of the exhibition, Fernando Frances, Leiro ‘is clearly one of the firm examples of when art is a commitment to living.’
“Leiro commits himself to retelling the massacres, the injustices, the murders, the excessive violence in the world and transfers these stories to his sculptures,” he said.
But local stories are also reimagined, with statues of builders tying their shoelaces and pieces like ‘Supervisor and three haulers’.
The ‘Leiro’ exhibition is on show now at the Center of Contemporary Art of Malaga, CAC, until January 7, 2018.
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54