A HERO caretaker took down a man who broke into a school and threatened to slaughter the children ‘like lambs’.
Witnesses told police the 46-year-old was carrying a bottle, first thought to contain poison, and was shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’, meaning ‘God is Great’, in Arabic.
He caused panic after managing to get into a classroom full of three-year-olds at the school in Madrid.
But the caretaker quickly tackled him and held him with help from other staff until cops arrived.
The ugly incident happened just after 9am last Friday at state school Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba in Madrid’s popular La Latina neighbourhood.
He was arrested for breaking and entering, criminal damage and threats.
The suspect had no links to the school and locals are still shaken up by the event.
A police spokesman said: “He was shouting to Allah and threatening to harm the children.”
A source added: “He was unarmed and is believed to have been suffering from mental health problems.
“No-one was injured but it was obviously a very frightening episode for the school.”
News of the incident emerged as police in the eastern city of Valencia arrested a 47-year-old man accused of belonging to terror group ISIS.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13