SPANISH police have shot and injured an unarmed Moroccan man after he allegedly began shouting ‘Allahu akbar’.
The officers said in their report that they thought he had a weapon, adding that they do not expect to begin a terror investigation.
The Frenchman, of Moroccan origin, was travelling with a woman in a car when they approached the toll road on the border town of La Jonquera in northern Spain.
A Guardia Civil patrol was reportedly alerted because the man had a ‘strange’ attitude and ‘seemed to be manipulating something inside the vehicle’.
“The police asked him to get out. He finally got out with something in his hands and he moved towards the officers,” said a spokesperson for the Catalan police.
The spokesperson added that, according to the policemen present, the man ‘shouted ‘Allahu akbar'(God is greatest)’.
“The police officers repeatedly asked him to stop, shot in the air to intimidate him but as he continued to move forward, they shot him in the hip,” he said.
The man ‘then undressed’ and ‘appeared to suffer from mental problems’.
According to the Guardia Civil his life ‘is not in danger’ and he is being cared for in a hospital in Gerone.
Police say an investigation is underway.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33