IT only took 12 years, but Palma’s Palacio de Congresos is finally open for business.
The bold modern building on the Paseo Marítimo creates the perfect counterbalance to the gothic-Romano masterpiece that is Palma Cathedral, a few minutes up the road.
The brainchild of Spanish architect Francisco Mangado, 60, building work began in 2008, but stopped and started multiple times for economic reasons.
Now Mangado has been rewarded for his patience receiving the 2017 Spanish Architecture Prize for his innovative design.
This is the second time the noted Navarran architect has won the award in its 25 years, the first time for the Spanish Pavilion at the the world Expo in Zaragoza in 2008.
His new convention centre uses 100 percent green energy, and all units and areas operate separately to ensure minimal energy use.
In line with its green philosophy, the centre will host the first national conference on Energy Efficiency and Sustainability in Sports Facilities in February.
Spain’s King Felipe recently praised the centre as being an ‘extraordinary’ building, not just for its style but also its social impact for the city.
He said Palma was now a ‘true city for meetings’.
Meliá Hotels has opened its hotel Melia Palma Bay, with 268 rooms, alongside the building and expects 2018 bookings to double next year.
By the end of this year, the centre will have hosted 170 events with more than 30,000 guests and 15,000 hotel stays.
For a chance to check out the architecture and views of the bay first hand, book tickets for the centre’s New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner and Party.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42