NEARLY six tonnes of cocaine with a street value of €210 million has been seized in the Port of Algeciras.
Three people have been arrested, including a Spaniard, alleged to be the ringleader, and two collaborators, one Honduran and the other Portuguese.
Camouflaged in Columbian banana crates, it is the second largest cocaine seizure ever, topped only a 7.6 tonnes cocaine seizure on a ship at sea in 1998.
Spanish Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said a joint task force of Guardia Civil and Customs discovered 5,883 kg of cocaine distributed amongst 5,299 pills.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11