SPAIN’S food industry is ramping up exports in a bid to counter the country’s shrinking population.
Since 2012, the number of citizens has been decreasing and is projected to shrivel from the current tally of 46 million to 40 million residents by the year 2064—a 12% decrease.
Meanwhile, the global population is projected to increase from 7.6 billion to over 9 billion people by 2050.
“The obvious option for the Spanish food industry is to increase exports,” said Fernando José Burgaz Moreno, Managing Director of the Department for the Food Industry in Spain.
He emphasized that this trend is already being realized—with Spanish food and wine exports having increased by almost 50% since 2011.
“Internationalization and innovation are key to exports,” added Josep Lluís Bonet, President of the Alimentaria Organization Committee, which arranges Alemantaria, Spain’s largest food and drink convention every year in Barcelona.
“It’s important to diffuse information about our products throughout the world.”
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23