He was sentenced to five years and 10 months of prison time for embezzling nearly six million euros between 2004 and 2006 from a non-profit foundation he headed on the island of Majorca.
He will be held at Brieva prison, chosen by Urdangarin, which is a small facility with less than 100 inmates just North of Madrid.
Authorities could choose to send him elsewhere for security reasons, officials have said.
Urdangarin, a 50-year-old former Olympic handball medal winner married to the king’s sister has caused scandal and uproar in Spain disgracing the royal family’s name.
Spain’s Royal House has refused to comment publically on the announcement of the rejected appeal and are currently on an official visit to the United States.
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16