No.10 Peironcely Street in Vallecas, on the outskirts of Madrid, made it into history books thanks to a photograph Robert Capa took in the winter of 1936, in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War.
The candid picture shows three kids sitting on the pavement amid the rubble after the building was blasted by German bombs.
Now Madrid City Council is masterminding the neglected property’s renaissance with plans to buy it from its current owner and convert it into a cultural space dedicated to that historic era.
The new Capa Centre, to be christened after the award-winning Hungarian war photographer, will ‘recover a story that had been erased’, according to José Maria Uría of the trade unionist Fundación Anastasio de Gracia.
But the project faces one major hurdle: the need to relocate the 14 families who still live in the rundown property. “We obviously know that this is a historical place but, for us, it’s just where we live”, said Cristina Uquillas, one of the residents who lives with her mother and her two children.
Others see the change more positively, since the building is infested with rats and mosquitoes and vulnerable to extreme weather.
Madrid Council has defended the new protected status of the building, ‘not just for its status as an example of early 20th-century construction, but also because of its immaterial value and worth as a testimony of historical memory’.
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- POLE POSITION: Property market expanding in Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45
- New dawn – Renovations at Marbella’s Beach House restaurant - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:38
- BREXIT: Everything British expats in Spain need to know - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 17:25
- Top 5 Travel Apps to Use in 2019 - 12 Feb, 2019 @ 09:14