THE Guardia Civil has announced it will make surprise visits to olive oil factories in Jaen to verify that all harvest weigh-ins are legitimate.
The initiative has been widely welcomed by olive farmers who have long held suspicions that the weigh-ins may be incorrect.
The general secretary of the Union of Small Farmers in Jaen, Cristobal Cano, said: “We are very happy with the announcement.
“Many farmers do not trust the scales, so for years we have been asking that inspections be carried out to guarantee that weights at the factory are correct.”
He added: “It’s an effort to work with the greatest transparency and uncover if there is any kind of deception.
“It will serve to dispel doubts that have always existed on the part of farmers who are going to weigh their fruit after a hard day of harvesting.
“We’ve been asking for this for years so we consider it an important achievement.”
- Outrage as MILLIONS of birds slaughtered by intensive olive farming before being served as TAPAS in Spain’s Andalucia - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 11:54
- REVIVAL: World embraces Spain’s ancient art of grass weaving - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 09:15
- FALLING FOWL: Management crisis puts Andalucia bird sanctuary under threat from drought and wild boar - 24 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- MAKE A KILLING: Andalucia zoo offering €350,000 contract for supplier of dead rats, mice and chicks - 26 Jan, 2019 @ 12:42
- EU tells Spain to BAN traditional bird singing competition - 26 Jan, 2019 @ 10:35
- Number of Spanish smokers has INCREASED after sweeping bans on indoor smoking - 26 Dec, 2018 @ 09:36
- Andalucian beekeepers warn ‘fake’ Chinese products are ruining Cordoba honey industry - 18 Nov, 2018 @ 12:34
- Spain’s solar energy market could receive HUGE €70 billion cash injection by 2030 - 17 Nov, 2018 @ 14:26
- OLIVE WATCHERS: Spain’s Civil Guard to make surprise visits to olive oil factories after weigh-in controversies - 4 Nov, 2018 @ 16:00
- Temperatures in Spain’s Andalucia hit climate change limit - 29 Oct, 2018 @ 11:17