SPANISH police have arrested 15 people in a tennis match-fixing investigation involving 28 professional players.
An Armenian criminal gang are thought to be the brains behind the sports scam, which sees 83 people placed under investigation in total.
Guardia Civil agents have confirmed that one of the players involved played at last year’s US Open, while another player was named as Spaniard Marc Fornell-Mestres.
Europol and the National High Court of Spain have assisted the Guardia Civil in raids on 11 houses on Thursday.
Authorities have frozen 42 bank accounts and seized €167,000, 50 electronic devices, five luxury vehicles, credit cards, documents and a shotgun.
“Our officers have proved the group had been operating since February 2017 and estimate that they had earned millions of euros through the operation,” said a Guardia Civil spokesperson.
The probe began when the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) noted strange activities during matches at the Challenger and ITF Futures tournaments.
Europol claim that 97 matches at these competitions were fixed, as players are alleged to have taken bribes in return for influencing certain results.
“The suspects bribed professional players to guarantee predetermined results and used the identities of thousands of citizens to bet on the prearranged games,” the law enforcement agency said.
The Armenian gang are believed to have bribed the unidentified players at the national and international level.
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49