THE Prosecutor’s Office has asked that the case against Dani Mateo, the comedian who blew his nose on the Spanish flag, be dropped.
It made the request in a letter sent to the Court of Instruction number 47, claiming the presenter’s antics did not constitute a crime of ‘outrage’ or ‘incitement to hatred’.
The Catalan comic made a public apology at the time of the performance, and now the public prosecutor has backed him by saying his work was merely ‘challenging’, not criminal.
If found guilty of a hate crime, Mateo could have faced a fine or up to four years in prison.
Mateo’s sketch on the satirical news show El Intermedio was excused ‘under the prism of freedom of expression’.
The Alternative Union of Police brought the original complaint following the broadcast by LaSexta.
The skit saw him joke that the only text which has ‘general consensus in Spain, is the patient guidelines on a packet of [cold remedy] Frenadol’.
As he read out the instructions for the drug, the comedian pretended to sneeze and blew his nose on the Spanish flag.
“Christ, sorry! I didn’t want to offend Spaniards, nor the king, nor the Chinese who sell these rags. Not rags, I didn’t mean rags,” he said.
Mateo became embroiled in a nationwide outrage at the time of the incident.
But now the incident appears to have been put to bed, with the public prosecutor ending the request by saying ‘he did not pursue violence or revenge’.
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50