SPANISH tourism chiefs have called for a ban on alcohol sales at airports and on flights.
Boozed-up Brits were singled out as the worst offenders at an international summit in Mallorca on Thursday at the Balearic Islands University.
“The British police are the ones that have the power,” said Timothy Colehan, of the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Colehan used the example of a UK flight landing in Mallorca, as he said drunken British passengers should not be Spain’s responsibility.
Also at the meeting, was deputy head of the National Police José María Manso, who claimed the Government ‘did not pay any attention’ to an anti-alcohol campaign.
The police officer also slammed Palma airport as he said: “The only thing you see is sale and more sale of alcohol, it’s a shopping centre.”
Colehan later added: “We urgently need the Spanish government to take a stand.”
There is one incident for every 1,424 flights, according to IATA data, while 50 flights per day have to deal with drunken passengers.
- British men among seven arrested in Marbella for smuggling three tonnes of hash to Costa del Sol marinas - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 14:26
- WATCH: Spain’s Guardia Civil drag ‘drunk’ woman and partner off Ryanair flight after they told passenger ‘let’s take it outside’ mid-flight - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 12:22
- Dead body of ‘clothed’ middle-aged man found on beach in southern Spain - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 20:15
- Pedro Sanchez leads tributes to 14-year-old killed in motorcycle race in Spain’s Andalucia - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 11:25
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03