SPAIN has been crowned the world’s healthiest country ahead of Italy.
That is according to the 2019 Bloomberg Healthiest Country Index, which ranks 169 countries on various health factors.
The index penalises risks like obesity and tobacco use, but gives positive weighting to longer life expectancy.
Spaniards have the highest life expectancy at birth in the EU and are only behind Switzerland and Japan globally.
Spain has jumped up five places from the 2017 index, when it was ranked 6th healthiest in the world.
A ‘Mediterranean diet’, rich in olive oil, nuts, oily fish and vegetables, is thought to be behind the health benefits of Spain and Italy.
This results in ‘a lower rate of major cardiovascular events than those assigned to a reduced-fat diet,’ a University of Navarra medical study found.
The UK meanwhile is ranked 19th, Portugal 22nd and the US 35th, in this year’s list.
The 30 most unhealthy countries include 27 Sub-Saharan nations, while Yemen, Afghanistan and Haiti are the other three.
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11