A BRITISH expat has been jailed after evading tax in the UK to the tune of almost €400,000.
Isle of Wight hotel owner Martin Hill, 51, has been jailed for 30 months after lying about his takings and illegally pocketing €393,000.
The Alicante-based Brit concealed the real number of bookings at his Burlington and Shanklin Beach Hotels.
Hill, of Calle la Font del Salmitre, Sant Joan d’Alacant, under-declared sales for the two hotels between March 2014 to April 2016 and pocketed the VAT he charged guests.
Ben Moore, Assistant Director, Fraud Investigation Service, HMRC, said today: “Hill lied to steal and cheat honest taxpayers. Instead of enjoying the proceeds of his crime, he will now be spending time behind bars.
“Tax fraud steals money from our public services such as hospitals and schools. Anyone with information about suspected tax fraud can report it to HMRC online or call our Fraud Hotline on 0800 788 887.”
Hill was arrested in September 2016 following searches at his home and hotels, with investigators seizing computers, business and personal records.
On April 15 2019, at Southwark Crown Court, Hill pleaded guilty to three charges of VAT evasion.
He was sentenced to 30 months in jail on 10 June at the same court, and banned as a director for seven years.
Shanklin Beach Hotel has been under new ownership since June 2017.
Confiscation proceedings are under way to recover the stolen money.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26