IRAN has summoned the British ambassador in Tehran in response to what it says was the illegal seizure of an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar.
Authorities in Gibraltar had detained the vessel with the help of British Royal Marines, on suspicion it was heading to Syria in breach of EU sanctions.
Spain’s acting foreign minister Josep Borrell has claimed the seizure of the ship- Grace 1 – was at the request of the US.
“Following the illegal seizure of an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar by British Royal Marines, the UK envoy to Tehran has been summoned to the ministry of foreign affairs,” confirmed an Iranian diplomatic spokesman.
A team of 30 marines, from 42 Commando, boarded the Panama-flagged supertanker using a helicopter and speed boats with no shots being fired.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi called the action a ‘form of piracy,’ a claim the UK foreign Office has dismissed as ‘nonsense.’
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00
- OPINION: Vulnerable people being robbed in hospital beds on the Costa del Sol is an absolute disgrace - 6 Jul, 2019 @ 12:30
- Iran accuses UK of ‘piracy’ over oil tanker seized in Gibraltar and summons ambassador to Tehran - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 10:28
- Royal Marines in Gibraltar detain oil tanker on way to Syria - 4 Jul, 2019 @ 09:50
- North Korea hit squad hunt US vet behind raid on embassy in Spain - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 12:58