- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Dogs charity goes viral
• Galgos need homes
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Frances Leate
NEW homes are desperately needed for thousands of Galgo dogs ruthlessly used for hunting and then left to die.
Galgo rescue charity, The Association Galgos en Familia, say that around 5,000 Galgos are found abandoned on the streets each year.
They claim the hunters, who no longer need the dogs for hunting hares, beat the dogs before leaving them on the streets to die from hunger or from being run over.
The charity has now created a web page to try and rehome as many dogs as possible in Spain and abroad.
The founder and director of the organisation, Vera Thorenaar, has been highlighting their tragic plight since 2008.
She said: “We are aware of the importance of the internet and social networking sites in promoting the adoptions of these dogs.
“We want to make the adoption process for adopting Galgos as easy and accessible as possible that is why we have taken into account these new ways of surfing the net.”
As well as the new site, which can be accessed via mobile phones and i-pads, volunteers at the charity have made a series of videos on the Youtube channel encouraging people to volunteer and adopt.
For more information visit the charity’s website: http://www.galgosenfamilia.org/en/ or call 607 414 409.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]