OLIVE PRESS EXCLUSIVE
By Jon Clarke in Albox
A DOZEN British homeowners are fighting the threat of homelessness after being served with demolition notices.
Their dream homes in Almeria are due to be knocked down in the new year unless a last-ditch appeal saves them
The families – many of whom have lived in the Albox area for up to a decade – last night vowed to blockade themselves in their homes to try to stop the demolitions being carried out.
It is almost exactly two years since British couple Len and Helen Prior’s home was bulldozed in the same province.
Everything we have accumulated in our lives has been invested in this project.”
Former builder John Burns, 82, who suffers from a heart condition, said: “We got handed the demolition order just before Christmas.
“It is so completely unjust. My wife is very stressed out. Everything we have accumulated in our lives has been invested in this project.”
The Junta has been waging an unbalanced campaign against former officials accused of allowing over-development of various coastal regions.
The local town hall had issued building licences for all the 11 homes under threat, but they were nullified following court action instigated by the Junta.
The 11 owners have insisted they had no idea their houses had been declared illegal.
“The first I knew of any problems was when a police officer knocked at the door and gave me the demolition notice,” continued Burns, a pensioner, who emigrated to Spain in 2001 with wife Muriel after suffering a heart attack which forced him to sell his building firm.
“It’s a beautiful three-bed detached house surrounded by olive groves. It’s our life’s dream.
“The expiry date on the notice is April 9. My wife’s been crying from the day we received it. Our Christmas was ruined.”
Christine Payne, a former employee at Legal and General took early retirement to emigrate to Spain in 2000 with her husband Noel, said: “We had our house built in 2002 and moved in the following year.
“The first I knew of our home being under threat was two days before Christmas when our builder rang to say the police wanted us to go to the local station.
I feel so angry because we’ve got all our paperwork in order
“We haven’t been served with our demolition order yet but we know we’re on the list.
“I feel so angry because we’ve got all our paperwork in order. We’re only finding out now that the building licences issued by the town hall were challenged by the regional government and nullified. No-one ever told us or our builder.
“If the bulldozers turn up we’re going to get as many people inside the house as we can to try to stop them.
“We’re going to get a solicitor but they charge a fortune and all our money’s in our house.
“I don’t know what we’re going to do if we end up losing it. We’ve only got our state pensions and very small private pensions to survive on.”
An expatriate support group, Abusos Urbanisticos Almanzora No (Auan), is sponsoring an appeal on the grounds of human rights.
Maura Hillen, the group’s president, said: “We’ll fight these demolition orders on the basis these people’s human rights were infringed because they weren’t informed of the legal proceedings against their homes.
Hillen, who also has a home that has been deemed to have irregular paperwork, continued: “The situation is very serious and our lawyer shares our opinion.
“We’re trying not to terrify people but it’s a frightening prospect.
“The way these orders were served on people, just before Christmas and without any warning, was very callous.”
Hillen, whose group has 250 members, added: “Building licences for all these houses were issued by Albox town hall.
“The regional Andalucian government impuned them because of a perceived risk of ‘urban nucleus’. At the same time they have given planning permission for 400 more homes just near the town.
“They’ve been the subject of court action for the last six years but no-one seems to have informed the homeowners. It’s appalling.”
The Priors are still living in a converted garage in Vera, close to Albox. Theur 350,000 euro property was demolished in January 2008 after the regional government revoked the building licence issued by the town hall.
Auan is co-hosting a candelit vigil on Jan 9 at the site where their home once stood to mark the two-year anniversary of its demolition.
The Priors are yet to receive any compensation for the loss of their home
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00