A BRITISH mother has confessed to killing her two young children in Spain.
The woman, aged in her 30s, told police that she murdered her eleven-month-old son and five-year-old daughter.
The family were staying at the four-star Hotel Miramar in the coastal town of Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava.
It is rumoured that the mother – believed to be mentally disturbed – may have suffocated the toddlers.
She alerted reception at 2pm about what had taken place, but the children were already dead when the ambulance arrived.
The British Embassy has also launched its own inquiry into the deaths.
“We are in contact with the Spanish police but because the children are minors we cannot say much,” said a Foreign Office spokesperson.
Lloret de Mar, 45 kilometres north of Barcelona, is a popular destination for British holidaymakers.
A spokesman for the travel association, Abta, said: “It’s very popular with the British. It’s a very traditional Spanish resort, similar to Benidorm and Torremolinos.”
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58