The graphic images of the death and destruction wreaked by the catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico serve as a shocking reminder of the inherent risks involved in the extraction and transportation of oil around the world.
All the more galling then to learn that, right here on our doorstep, crucial safety procedures are being flouted by a culture of negligence and greed.
So says a recent report conducted by the Andalucian Office of Fair Trading.
Failure to enforce maritime safety regulations on vessels entering the Bay of Gibraltar, as well as lax management of bunkering – ship-to-ship refuelling – has not only led to chronic pollution of the Bay but also risks a major environmental catastrophe.
Given the wealth of protected marine life that lives in the increasingly unctuous waters off Gibraltar; not to mention the cautionary tale being played out off the Louisiana coast, the Olive Press calls on the Spanish and Gibraltar authorities to clean up their act.
Before they have a much bigger clean up to worry about.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58