Never before has an eight-legged creature been so trusted.
An octopus called ‘Paul’ has captured international attention after correctly predicting the outcomes of all six German World Cup matches.
And now, the mollusk is saying that Spain will defeat Holland in the World Cup final on Sunday.
The octopus, residing in a German aquarium, made his prediction by choosing to eat a mussel from a box emblazoned with the Spanish flag, instead of one with the Holland flag.
Paul even predicted the massive upset when Germany lost to Serbia in the group stages.
According to mathematicians, the odds of anyone correctly guessing six consecutive wins are 216 to 1.
Germans who felt betrayed by Paul’s accurate prediction of their loss to Spain will be happy to know that the octopus has chosen Germany to beat Uruguay in the third place playoff Saturday.
If Paul is correct this Sunday, perhaps grateful Spanish restaurants will have to remove grilled octopus from their menus.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27