THE Spanish government has announced it may cap subsidies for solar panel power.
The new measure comes as part of a plan to curb electricity costs for consumers.
Rather than cutting the subsidies directly, the intention is to limit the number of hours of output during which subsidies can be earned.
Photovoltaic (PV) solar plants, which usually generate electricity for 1,600-2,000 hours per year, would only receive subsidies for 1,200-1,644 of those hours.
But it is as yet unknown how much of an impact this will have on the companies.
Already this year the country’s renewable energy firms have seen share prices fall amid reports the government may cut lucrative subsidies not just for future plants but for existing ones which have set tariffs for 25 years.
Antonio Hernandez, general director of energy policy at the Industry Ministry said: “We want to prevent electricity becoming more expensive as the sun shines more.
“One of the possibilities is that the number of hours that subsidies can be earned would have limits.”
But plant operators and trade groups are strongly opposed to the idea and have threatened to sue the government for as much as one billion euros, should the limits be imposed.
Hernandez, who insists the ministry will reach a decision in the coming weeks, must now find a way to limit power prices for the industry and households as the Spanish economy struggles to emerge from the recession.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00