A Briton has been arrested after turning his luxury seaside villa into a huge marijuana plantation.
Police estimate around €170,000 was spent on turning the basement of the detached chalet into a complex drug laboratory.
When police raided the four-bed Benalmádena villa they found 900 plants up to 2 metres high which were being harvested four time a year.
The high-tech operation was being run by a Dutch druglord. In total 15 people were detained.
The basement lab was divided into three compartments and included special lamps, reflective materials and a hydraulic system.
A luxury yacht with a false bottom was used to traffic drug seeds and pollen from Morocco.
Police recovered 130 kilos of the drug, of which 30 was ready for sale.
The crackdown comes amid heightened anti-drug police activity along the Spanish coast.
A Dutch-registered boat carrying 20 kilos of hashish was intercepted off Cadiz on Friday.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00