THERE is a very good reason she is known in her country as ‘La Sirenita’ or the Little Mermaid.
Chilean teenager Milenka Rojas Rival has broken the women’s world record for swimming across the Strait of Gibraltar.
The 17-year-old swam the 18 kilometres from Tarifa to Punta Ahmia in Morocco in just 2 hours and 49 minutes.
The young swimmer had also hoped to make a return journey but was forced to abandon half way through the second leg due to an easterly wind and strong currents.
The previous record was held by Australian swimmer Penelope Palfrey, 47, who crossed the Strait in three hours and three minutes in 2010.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46