By Helen Pierpoint
AN explosion on a plastic recycling ship has caused a fire and a huge column of black smoke that can be seen from Sevilla.
According to reports the ship, situated in the industrial area of San Rafael in Alcala de Guadaira, has now collapsed but the person working on the ship at the time of the explosion was able to escape without injury.
The collapse apparently helped firemen – who were initially hesitant to approach the site due to the presence of plastic on the ship – to extinguish the flames.
Burning plastic can emit toxic chemicals such as dioxins into the air.
The fire has affected a nearby ship as well as a railway line but thankfully the adjacent ship was found to be empty.
There have been no injuries reported so far.
- Forecast gloomy for hotels on the Costa del Sol - 21 Jul, 2012 @ 17:25
- Spain’s Royal family takes pay cut - 20 Jul, 2012 @ 10:30
- Brit denies bar shooting in Spain - 19 Jul, 2012 @ 12:13
- Algarrobico hotel to get the chop despite amnesty for Costa del Sol properties - 17 Jul, 2012 @ 13:32
- Brit compares Pamplona bull goring to being stabbed - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 15:49
- Gibraltar hits back at Spanish ‘delaying tactic’ claims - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 12:16
- The jet-set lifestyle of expat arrested in connection with €6 million fraud - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 10:33
- Lioness found living in Spanish urbanisation - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 09:30
- Half of the arrested protestors in Madrid have been released - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 08:00
- Tarifa: Where the wind blows - 13 Jul, 2012 @ 15:45