A SPANISH schoolboy has landed himself in hot water after faking his own kidnapping to avoid parent’s evening at his school.
The unnamed 11-year-old sparked a huge search operation after ringing his father to say he had been abducted.
Police set up roadblocks across north-west Spain and alerted authorities in neighbouring Portugal after the youngster claimed to be locked in the boot of a blue Seat.
The local media even ran stories on their websites about the dramatic kidnapping.
However, the search ended after the boy’s father, a police office in Xinzo de Limia, noticed keys to a flat the family owned were missing.
He explained he had been terrified of his parents speaking to his teachers after a string of bad grades.
“The civil guard attributed the false alarm to a childish ‘prank’ that had something to do with the boy’s situation at school,” local media reported.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02