PONT-TAILED Pablo Iglesias shunned protocol to give King Felipe the complete ‘Game of Thrones’ series when they met for the first time today.
The king reacted graciously at the Brussels MEP meet-up in Brussels, grinning and admitting he had not yet seen the series.
Iglesias reportedly gifted the violent series to him so he might ‘better understand the political crisis in Spain’.
We predicted a warm embrace would be unlikely when they met for the first time, given Iglesias’ desire to abolish the monarchy.
The left wing leader currently topping the polls also plans to call a referendum on the monarchy’s future should he come to power, so tensions were expected to be running high.
Furthermore, Iglesias had requested a meeting with King Felipe in February but had not received a reply.
It was the king’s first visit as monarch to the European Parliament to greet the 54 Spanish MEPs, five of whom are Podemos politicians.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25