SPANISH police arrested 14 people on wednesday for allegedly glorifying terror acts in Facebook and Twitter messages.
The Interior Ministry said those arrested nationwide made repeated comments on fake social network profiles with large numbers of followers that ranged from “glorifying the terrorist organisations and the murders they carried out, to mocking the victims of terrorism.”
The groups praised the armed Basque separatist group ETA, Catalonia’s nationalist Free Land group and the shadowy far-left group GRAPO. None of whom have carried out armed attacks in recent years.
An Interior Ministry statement read: “This type of police operation is a blow to those who, whether or not they belong to terrorist organisations or their support structures, try to anonymously disparage victims and encourage the use of violence.”
The arrests occured in seven of Spain’s regions as part of a crackdown on online incitement to violence.
According to the statement, the effort has seen over 60 arrests since May 2014.
The most recent arrests were made in Barcelona (3), Murcia (2), Madrid (1), A Coruna (1), Pontevedra (1), Tarragona (1), Navarra (1), Valencia (1), Alicante (1), Granada (1).
ETA, whose forty year armed campaign for Basque independence left 829 people dead, declared an end to its armed activities in 2011, but the group has yet to formally disband or disarm.
GRAPO, which has been blamed for more the murders of more than 80 Spanish police and soldiers, has been relatively inactive since it was broken up in 2002.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13