SPANISH police arrested 14 people on wednesday for allegedly glorifying terror acts in Facebook and Twitter messages.
The Interior Ministry said those arrested nationwide made repeated comments on fake social network profiles with large numbers of followers that ranged from “glorifying the terrorist organisations and the murders they carried out, to mocking the victims of terrorism.”
The groups praised the armed Basque separatist group ETA, Catalonia’s nationalist Free Land group and the shadowy far-left group GRAPO. None of whom have carried out armed attacks in recent years.
An Interior Ministry statement read: “This type of police operation is a blow to those who, whether or not they belong to terrorist organisations or their support structures, try to anonymously disparage victims and encourage the use of violence.”
The arrests occured in seven of Spain’s regions as part of a crackdown on online incitement to violence.
According to the statement, the effort has seen over 60 arrests since May 2014.
The most recent arrests were made in Barcelona (3), Murcia (2), Madrid (1), A Coruna (1), Pontevedra (1), Tarragona (1), Navarra (1), Valencia (1), Alicante (1), Granada (1).
ETA, whose forty year armed campaign for Basque independence left 829 people dead, declared an end to its armed activities in 2011, but the group has yet to formally disband or disarm.
GRAPO, which has been blamed for more the murders of more than 80 Spanish police and soldiers, has been relatively inactive since it was broken up in 2002.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14