SPAIN´S Eurovision Song Contest entry will sing in English for the first time, and many are not happy about it.
Barbara Reyzabal Gonzalaz-Aller, AKA Barei, will represent Spain after television viewers voted for her song ´Say Yay´in February.
Spain, who has not won since 1969, will hope to join the 26 other countries who have won singing in English.
Barei said English comes naturally to her when she writes her music: “It is much more international,” she said.
But director of the Royal Spanish Academy Dario Villanueva said the decision is proof of an “inferiority complex.”
The same academy´s Jose Merino said: “Give
n that Spanish is a language spoken by 500 million people, presenting a song in English is surprisingly stupid.”
“I understand that a country with a language that has a limited number of speakers would try to use a language known by many, but this is unacceptable,” he added.
Spain´s past entries also remain divided over the decision.
Edurne, who finished 21st last year, described the move as innovative and necessary to turn around Spain´s losing record.
But Remedios Amaya, who placed last in 1983, said the idea of singing in English “doesn´t even get into my head”, adding that the singer should be representing Spain not England.
English is the most successful language in the competition´s history with 26 victories, and this year only three of the 43 countries will have no lyrics in English.
French has won 14 times and Dutch and Hebrew three times each
The competition will conclude this Saturday in Stockholm.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52