SPAIN´S Eurovision Song Contest entry will sing in English for the first time, and many are not happy about it.
Barbara Reyzabal Gonzalaz-Aller, AKA Barei, will represent Spain after television viewers voted for her song ´Say Yay´in February.
Spain, who has not won since 1969, will hope to join the 26 other countries who have won singing in English.
Barei said English comes naturally to her when she writes her music: “It is much more international,” she said.
But director of the Royal Spanish Academy Dario Villanueva said the decision is proof of an “inferiority complex.”
The same academy´s Jose Merino said: “Give
n that Spanish is a language spoken by 500 million people, presenting a song in English is surprisingly stupid.”
“I understand that a country with a language that has a limited number of speakers would try to use a language known by many, but this is unacceptable,” he added.
Spain´s past entries also remain divided over the decision.
Edurne, who finished 21st last year, described the move as innovative and necessary to turn around Spain´s losing record.
But Remedios Amaya, who placed last in 1983, said the idea of singing in English “doesn´t even get into my head”, adding that the singer should be representing Spain not England.
English is the most successful language in the competition´s history with 26 victories, and this year only three of the 43 countries will have no lyrics in English.
French has won 14 times and Dutch and Hebrew three times each
The competition will conclude this Saturday in Stockholm.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43