SPAIN´S Eurovision Song Contest entry will sing in English for the first time, and many are not happy about it.
Barbara Reyzabal Gonzalaz-Aller, AKA Barei, will represent Spain after television viewers voted for her song ´Say Yay´in February.
Spain, who has not won since 1969, will hope to join the 26 other countries who have won singing in English.
Barei said English comes naturally to her when she writes her music: “It is much more international,” she said.
But director of the Royal Spanish Academy Dario Villanueva said the decision is proof of an “inferiority complex.”
The same academy´s Jose Merino said: “Give
n that Spanish is a language spoken by 500 million people, presenting a song in English is surprisingly stupid.”
“I understand that a country with a language that has a limited number of speakers would try to use a language known by many, but this is unacceptable,” he added.
Spain´s past entries also remain divided over the decision.
Edurne, who finished 21st last year, described the move as innovative and necessary to turn around Spain´s losing record.
But Remedios Amaya, who placed last in 1983, said the idea of singing in English “doesn´t even get into my head”, adding that the singer should be representing Spain not England.
English is the most successful language in the competition´s history with 26 victories, and this year only three of the 43 countries will have no lyrics in English.
French has won 14 times and Dutch and Hebrew three times each
The competition will conclude this Saturday in Stockholm.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31