A CSI fan has helped police solve a murder that was initially ruled as suicide.
The self-confessed crime series addict Carmen Moreno, decided to investigate after seeing how much evidence was ignored at the scene.
In particular, she collected tissues and underwear covered in blood that was left behind after police removed the body of the 32-year-old victim from a bench in Maria Luisa Park, Sevilla.
After putting the evidence in a plastic bag, mirroring what she had seen in her beloved crime shows, she took them to the police station.
“Whether it’s a suicide or a murder, you must always collect the evidence, whatever it is,” she said.
An autopsy later revealed the victim had died from internal injuries resulting from a rape.
Police were able to extract DNA samples from the evidence Carmen had collected, and a 46-year-old suspect was swiftly arrested.
“If it wasn’t for me, he’d probably still be on the loose,” Carmen added.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25