THE gruesome killing of bulls at Spain´s most notorious festival has been banned.
Animal rights activists have claimed a major victory after the government of Castille y Leon banned the slaying of bulls at the annual Toro de la Vega festival in Tordesillas.
The festival has become an epicentre of animal rights protests due to its particularly sinister killing method.
Bulls are murdered with spears after being pursued on foot and horseback.
Rights group PACMA said the ban is a ´historic step´ towards the full elimination of bull killing in Spain, but warned that the regional government´s decree must still be approved by the regional Parliament.
The town´s mayor told reporters his administration will appeal the ban in court.
The decree labelled the ban as a response to the rise in animal protests and the changing times, sensitivites and ethics of Spaniards.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31