SPAIN has stepped up security on its border with France after the Nice terrorist attack which killed 84 people last night.
Acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said during a televised address this morning: “We feel the pain as our own, we want to express our solidarity to our French neighbours and friends, we are at your side.”
He called Friday “a day of deep sorrow for all those who have lost their life and their liberty” in the Bastille Day attack.
He vowed to “work together with our partners and allies to end this criminal madness.”
There are no reports of Spanish victims, but Spain will fly official flags at half mast today government buildings will hold a minute’s silence at midday.
They will also hold an emergency terror threat meeting today to assess the risks to Spain following the attack, which saw a driver plough his truck through huge crowds that had gathered to watch the fireworks on Bastille Day.
There are reports that the driver was of Tunisian descent and that he shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ as he drove in zig-zags through the crowds.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13