SPAIN has asked for the return of wartime gifts it sent to the Nazis intended to prove the ‘Aryan ancestry’ of Germany and Spain.
Dictator Francisco Franco gave several Visigoth artefacts to SS chief Heinrich Himmler, who had been tasked with proving the superiority of the Aryan race.
The gifts, presented to the Nazis following Himmler’s visit in 1940, included gold and bronze cups, necklaces and human remains that had been excavated from a Visigoth necropolis near Segovia.
Visigoths were German tribesmen who had conquered the Iberian peninsula between the 5th and 8th centuries.
The gifts were a bid by Franco and archaeologist Julio Martinez Santa-Olalla to prove the tribesmen’s presence in Spain, which would in turn prove that Spaniards shared the Germans Aryan heritage, making them, too, ‘superior to all other races’.
Spain wants to display the gifts at the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid.
Sergio Vidal, head of medieval antiquities at the National Archaeological Museum, said: “Dozens of pieces were sent to Germany and they never returned. Now we are trying to find evidence to show that the material was sent to Germany only on a temporary basis.”
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40