SPAIN has asked for the return of wartime gifts it sent to the Nazis intended to prove the ‘Aryan ancestry’ of Germany and Spain.
Dictator Francisco Franco gave several Visigoth artefacts to SS chief Heinrich Himmler, who had been tasked with proving the superiority of the Aryan race.
The gifts, presented to the Nazis following Himmler’s visit in 1940, included gold and bronze cups, necklaces and human remains that had been excavated from a Visigoth necropolis near Segovia.
Visigoths were German tribesmen who had conquered the Iberian peninsula between the 5th and 8th centuries.
The gifts were a bid by Franco and archaeologist Julio Martinez Santa-Olalla to prove the tribesmen’s presence in Spain, which would in turn prove that Spaniards shared the Germans Aryan heritage, making them, too, ‘superior to all other races’.
Spain wants to display the gifts at the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid.
Sergio Vidal, head of medieval antiquities at the National Archaeological Museum, said: “Dozens of pieces were sent to Germany and they never returned. Now we are trying to find evidence to show that the material was sent to Germany only on a temporary basis.”
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33