Signed between the two countries in 2015, it commits the US to cleaning up the site in Almeria, where a B-52 bomber went down with four hydrogen bombs in 1966.
The area became heavily polluted after the non-nuclear detonators from two of the bombs exploded, contaminating two square kilometers with plutonium.
Madrid and Washington had agreed in October 2015 that the US would foot the €640 million bill to remove 50,000 cubic meters of contaminated soil.
But the agreement could not be implicated due to Spain’s crippling political deadlock throughout most of 2016.
They then had to wait until the result of the US presidential election as the cost of the agreement meant the Obama administration could not push it forward on its way out.
The recent resignation of US amabassador to Spain James Costos means it is likely Trump will renegotiate the terms.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37