A STOLEN truck carrying gas cylinders has been halted by Barcelona police after a high-speed chase.
Police managed to stop the truck while it was speeding the wrong way along the Ronda del Litoral motorway.
The truck was carrying dozens of butane gas cylinders, some of which were thrown off into the road during the chase.
The man has been arrested and taken to a medical facility. He has been named as Swedish national Joakim Robin Berggren.
It appears that the man stole the truck at 10.40am on Tuesday morning from Vila Vila street, where the driver was delivering gas canisters.
Police chased the vehicle from that area, until finally managing to halt the truck after an 11km chase by shooting through the rear windscreen.
Counter-terrorism police have launched an investigation into the driver’s motives.
The truck rammed into several other vehicles during the chase, and one woman has reported minor injuries.
- Green gold: Discovering the origins of avocados - 29 Mar, 2017 @ 18:00
- Spain slammed by European Commission for inequality levels - 9 Mar, 2017 @ 14:30
- International Women’s Day: Women’s rights in Spain - 8 Mar, 2017 @ 09:00
- Marbella Town Hall creates 500 temporary jobs in bid to cut unemployment - 7 Mar, 2017 @ 14:50
- Malaga scientists in finals of Google contest to grow seeds on the moon - 6 Mar, 2017 @ 19:00
- 1000km/h ‘flying’ train designed by Valencia students - 6 Mar, 2017 @ 15:10
- Which animals are most at risk of extinction in Spain? - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 21:00
- Read the TripAdvisor reviews of 12 tourists who were not impressed by Andalucia - 4 Mar, 2017 @ 11:00
- Gay traffic lights introduced in Cadiz town - 3 Mar, 2017 @ 18:00
- Virtually all fossil fuel in Spain imported from abroad - 3 Mar, 2017 @ 17:00