THE world’s largest olive oil company is close to collapse after posting a €179 million loss in 2016.
Spanish firm Deoleo, the world’s largest bottler of brands including Carbonell, Hojiblanca and Kiope, saw its turnover drop by 15% to €695 million following a surge in the price of olive oil.
Its sales also dropped by 22% after a ‘strategic’ decision to make profitable sales a priority.
Prices jumped last year due to poor harvests in Spain and Italy, the world’s top producers.
A bacteria outbreak in southern Italy which infected at least a million trees also led to the country’s lowest harvest in 25 years.
Deoleo will now sell its factory in Antequera and also plans to dismiss workers in its offices, although it is not clear how many will lose their jobs.
Deloeo has said its strategy is focused on consumers’ needs and the quality of its products.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31