THE world’s largest olive oil company is close to collapse after posting a €179 million loss in 2016.
Spanish firm Deoleo, the world’s largest bottler of brands including Carbonell, Hojiblanca and Kiope, saw its turnover drop by 15% to €695 million following a surge in the price of olive oil.
Its sales also dropped by 22% after a ‘strategic’ decision to make profitable sales a priority.
Prices jumped last year due to poor harvests in Spain and Italy, the world’s top producers.
A bacteria outbreak in southern Italy which infected at least a million trees also led to the country’s lowest harvest in 25 years.
Deoleo will now sell its factory in Antequera and also plans to dismiss workers in its offices, although it is not clear how many will lose their jobs.
Deloeo has said its strategy is focused on consumers’ needs and the quality of its products.
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54