The UK publication launched the campaign on its front page this morning, demanding that ‘Spain and the UK take their hands off our Rock.’
It said it became concerned after Theresa May refused to rule out talks with Madrid over the Rock’s future.
Chief Minister of the overseas territory Picardo has supported the move, saying ‘it’s great to have The Sun onside.’
He also called for May to rule out any Gibraltar talks with Madrid.
“It’s time for the British government to rule out any bilateral veto for Spain and stand by Gibraltar,” he said.
While May has promised the sovereignty of Gibraltar will not change, she did not rule out talks with Spain, saying that she wanted to get the ‘best possible deal’ for London and Madrid.
The Sun has urged its readers to ‘make the strength of feeling known on keeping Gibraltar British.’
It also gave its readers a special pull out poster of the Rock, and urged them download special screensavers for their phones and devices to show solidarity.
Picardo has since thanked the British tabloid, saying: “The Sun’s reputation proceeds it.
“It’s always The Sun what wins it, so it’s great to have The Sun onside.”
Head of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Gibraltar and Tory MP Jack Lo
presti also backed the campaign.
He said: “What The Sun is doing is sending a very powerful message to show British people are full square behind the people of Gibraltar. It is an excellent idea and I commend The Sun for doing it.
“Sitting down with Spain to discuss Gibraltar’s future on a bilateral basis should be completely out of the question.”
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20