A LEADING Marbella expat has secured the speaker of a lifetime at a high profile climate change conference.
International wine expert, Pancho Campo, has confirmed Barack Obama for this summer’s Climate Change Leadership Porto Summit on July 6 in Portugal.
This will be the fourth climate change conference Chilean native, Campo, has organised with the former three taking place in Spain with a focus on the wine industry.
The Marbella-based businessman told the Olive Press his main goal is to ‘empower people’.
“We want to engage them to do something at their own level. It’s up to each of us.
“Whether you are a student, a politician or a CEO, put into practice what Obama and the others are going to tell you,” urged Campo.
The entrepreneur became passionate about the subject 15 years ago after witnessing first hand the effects of climate change on skiing trips and ‘unbearably hot’ summers in Florida.
After carrying out extensive scientific research for his thesis, the ‘worrying’ data compelled him to take action by organising the first Climate Change and Wine conference.
“It was a big flop because in 2006 nobody believed in climate change. I was very disappointed,” he added.
But in 2008 he managed to secure former US Vice President Al Gore as a speaker, who had just won an oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize for his documentary about climate change, which earnt the Barcelona event worldwide recognition.
And this year’s summit was ‘very well received’ by Obama, who will be joined by other pioneering experts and campaigners in the sector at the 3,000 seated Porto Coliseum.
President Obama made climate change and investments in the green economy
one of his priorities during his administration.
At a U.N. Climate Change Summit, Obama, said: “There’s one issue that will define the contours of this century more dramatically than any other, and that is the urgent and growing threat of a changing climate.”
Campo added: “Climate change is happening. People have to start acting immediately, they cannot wait any longer.”
Information about how to gain access to the event will be available from Monday May 7 at www.climatechange-porto.com
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03