HUNDREDS of feminist activists have gathered at the Andalucian parliament to protest against the far-right supported government being sworn in.
Juanma Moreno of the PP is set to be the first non-Socialist leader of the region for 36 years and has been bolstered by the far-right Vox party.
On Tuesday he began giving his maiden speech, before a vote on Wednesday, which should see him be sworn into power on Friday.
Over 50 feminist groups are camped outside the Parliament and are marching with the slogan, ‘not a step back in equality and diversity, our rights are not negotiated.’
Their rallying cries are a response to the pro-life, anti-immigration rhetoric of Vox, who pushed to repeal laws protecting women from gender violence.
After Andalucia’s former leader Susana Diaz called the snap elections on December 2, her PSOE party lost their overall majority.
This ushered in a centre-right coalition between the Ciudadanos and the PP, supported by Vox, who would not actually enter government themselves.
Instead, the far-right party, who gained their first 12 seats ever at the regional elections, made a 37-point agreement with the PP and Ciudadanos.
The concessions made to Vox include measures to tackle Islamic fundamentalism and illegal immigration.
Moreno now sets out his policies, which so far include a new water bill, the scrapping of inheritance tax, and a new law to protect flamenco.
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25
- British chef Jamie Oliver opens NEW restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:05
- Financial specialist Blacktower is continuing to make inroads in Spain, offering excellent advice to expats of all nationalities - 15 May, 2019 @ 13:13
- ‘SERIOUS CONCERN’: Huge rise in murders and assassinations on Costa del Sol, public prosecutor says - 15 May, 2019 @ 11:37
- Liverpool back in Marbella for seven-day training camp ahead of Champions League final with Tottenham in Madrid - 14 May, 2019 @ 18:02