In 2016 Javier Ortega Smith-Molina, 50, and a handful of other Vox activists unfurled an 18m by 11m Spanish flag on the Rock of Gibraltar.
But speaking to El Mundo, the military-trained politician, nicknamed ‘Rambo’ said he had still ‘not stepped foot in England or the Rock’, since the inflammatory gesture.
The former Green Berets soldier claimed he could still be arrested for the act, which was intended to question Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
“If someday I want to go to London, I will be uncertain until the last minute,” he said. “What is clear though is that they will sound the alarm on their computer system.”
On the day of the flag joke one of the far-right pranksters was arrested by Royal Gibraltar Police, while the rest all escaped, including Smith-Molina who swam back to Spanish territory.
The Vox number two described the ‘assault’ on the Rock like a Hollywood blockbuster and said it took two weeks to plan.
“We had calculated the time to the millimetre, where to climb, how to unfold the flag,” he said. “There was a lot of tension.
“In eight minutes we had to go down the mountain, where one of our group fell and almost killed himself.”
The party’s president at the time, Nacho Mínguez, was the man who was arrested, and was taken away by police shouting ‘Gibraltar is Spanish’.
He later claimed he was tortured by the authorities, but Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo dismissed his allegations, labelling them ‘frivolous and vexatious and a clear abuse of process’.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59