In 2016 Javier Ortega Smith-Molina, 50, and a handful of other Vox activists unfurled an 18m by 11m Spanish flag on the Rock of Gibraltar.
But speaking to El Mundo, the military-trained politician, nicknamed ‘Rambo’ said he had still ‘not stepped foot in England or the Rock’, since the inflammatory gesture.
The former Green Berets soldier claimed he could still be arrested for the act, which was intended to question Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
“If someday I want to go to London, I will be uncertain until the last minute,” he said. “What is clear though is that they will sound the alarm on their computer system.”
On the day of the flag joke one of the far-right pranksters was arrested by Royal Gibraltar Police, while the rest all escaped, including Smith-Molina who swam back to Spanish territory.
The Vox number two described the ‘assault’ on the Rock like a Hollywood blockbuster and said it took two weeks to plan.
“We had calculated the time to the millimetre, where to climb, how to unfold the flag,” he said. “There was a lot of tension.
“In eight minutes we had to go down the mountain, where one of our group fell and almost killed himself.”
The party’s president at the time, Nacho Mínguez, was the man who was arrested, and was taken away by police shouting ‘Gibraltar is Spanish’.
He later claimed he was tortured by the authorities, but Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo dismissed his allegations, labelling them ‘frivolous and vexatious and a clear abuse of process’.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25