In 2016 Javier Ortega Smith-Molina, 50, and a handful of other Vox activists unfurled an 18m by 11m Spanish flag on the Rock of Gibraltar.
But speaking to El Mundo, the military-trained politician, nicknamed ‘Rambo’ said he had still ‘not stepped foot in England or the Rock’, since the inflammatory gesture.
The former Green Berets soldier claimed he could still be arrested for the act, which was intended to question Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
“If someday I want to go to London, I will be uncertain until the last minute,” he said. “What is clear though is that they will sound the alarm on their computer system.”
On the day of the flag joke one of the far-right pranksters was arrested by Royal Gibraltar Police, while the rest all escaped, including Smith-Molina who swam back to Spanish territory.
The Vox number two described the ‘assault’ on the Rock like a Hollywood blockbuster and said it took two weeks to plan.
“We had calculated the time to the millimetre, where to climb, how to unfold the flag,” he said. “There was a lot of tension.
“In eight minutes we had to go down the mountain, where one of our group fell and almost killed himself.”
The party’s president at the time, Nacho Mínguez, was the man who was arrested, and was taken away by police shouting ‘Gibraltar is Spanish’.
He later claimed he was tortured by the authorities, but Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo dismissed his allegations, labelling them ‘frivolous and vexatious and a clear abuse of process’.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08