MANHOLE covers on the Costa del Sol are being stolen at an alarming rate, a local council has warned.
Torremolinos Council has said that the 200 robberies of grids in recent months has cost €80,000 to replace.
Mijas and Fuengirola have also been targeted, and the Torremolinos Water Company are now calling for a clampdown on perpetrators.
“It is a danger for people who walk, but also for cars, motorcycles and bicycles,” said Pedro Pena, the company manager.
He added: “It is very strange that nobody has seen anything.
“In case someone is witnessing one of these robberies, they should notify the police quickly.”
Pena said those responsible might only get €5 for their crime, but each cover costs between €200 and €300 to replace.
The Policia Nacional have asked the public to take note of car registration plates used to transport stolen covers and the identities of thieves.
Police are even now monitoring vehicles with specialised hooks that can lift up the heavy iron covers.
The covers usually end up in black market scrapyards, where stolen material may only fetch 25 cents a kilo.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57