MANHOLE covers on the Costa del Sol are being stolen at an alarming rate, a local council has warned.
Torremolinos Council has said that the 200 robberies of grids in recent months has cost €80,000 to replace.
Mijas and Fuengirola have also been targeted, and the Torremolinos Water Company are now calling for a clampdown on perpetrators.
“It is a danger for people who walk, but also for cars, motorcycles and bicycles,” said Pedro Pena, the company manager.
He added: “It is very strange that nobody has seen anything.
“In case someone is witnessing one of these robberies, they should notify the police quickly.”
Pena said those responsible might only get €5 for their crime, but each cover costs between €200 and €300 to replace.
The Policia Nacional have asked the public to take note of car registration plates used to transport stolen covers and the identities of thieves.
Police are even now monitoring vehicles with specialised hooks that can lift up the heavy iron covers.
The covers usually end up in black market scrapyards, where stolen material may only fetch 25 cents a kilo.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25