MANHOLE covers on the Costa del Sol are being stolen at an alarming rate, a local council has warned.
Torremolinos Council has said that the 200 robberies of grids in recent months has cost €80,000 to replace.
Mijas and Fuengirola have also been targeted, and the Torremolinos Water Company are now calling for a clampdown on perpetrators.
“It is a danger for people who walk, but also for cars, motorcycles and bicycles,” said Pedro Pena, the company manager.
He added: “It is very strange that nobody has seen anything.
“In case someone is witnessing one of these robberies, they should notify the police quickly.”
Pena said those responsible might only get €5 for their crime, but each cover costs between €200 and €300 to replace.
The Policia Nacional have asked the public to take note of car registration plates used to transport stolen covers and the identities of thieves.
Police are even now monitoring vehicles with specialised hooks that can lift up the heavy iron covers.
The covers usually end up in black market scrapyards, where stolen material may only fetch 25 cents a kilo.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00