THE headmaster of an exclusive British school in Mallorca is facing extradition to Scotland following allegations of sexual abuse.
James Berry, 74, was arrested on Tuesday and has reportedly been taken to Madrid where he awaits an extradition hearing.
Berry is the headmaster of King Richard III College in Portals Nous, near Palma, and was previously cleared by the Mallorcan courts of allegations of sexual abuse initially brought by his daughter in 2016.
Respected newspaper Ultima Hora reported that Scottish police have since issued a European Arrest Warrant for Berry’s extradition for trial in Berry’s former home.
Berry last year told the Olive Press the allegations were made in a bid to ‘run him out of the school’, as his adult daughter wanted to become headmaster.
In a letter to parents dated March 5, Berry said: ‘‘After being cleared of the brutal accusations brought against me in Spain, now I must face the same allegations in Scotland
‘‘The accusations have caused great pain to my loved ones, so I beg you to continue to trust us and especially support my family.
‘‘We will win again the battle in which my innocence will be established once and for all.”
The King Richard III College were contacted but have yet to issue a statement.
More to follow…
- Police capture guinea fowl that sent residents ‘crazy’ with its racket on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 16:23
- Naked effigies of Trump, Hitler, Stalin and Franco torched in Valencia’s Las Fallas festival - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 15:27
- IN PICS: raw sewage pumped out at three places off Nerja beaches - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 14:56
- EU offers Brexit extension until May if MPs support withdrawal deal next week - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 13:07
- British couple arrested for ‘leading’ huge marijuana network on Costa Blanca, caught with €216,000 of drugs including cannabis ‘jelly beans’, ‘jam’ and ‘cream chocolate spread’ - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:38
- Drones used for ‘first time’ in battle against toxic caterpillars on Costa Blanca - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- Disabled British man found unconscious after ‘intense’ gas cylinder inferno on the Costa Blanca - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 18:17
- NOT A BIN: Plastic fills river on Costa Blanca just hours after a 20-tonne clean-up - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:45
- Benidorm’s legendary Tiki Beach bar re-opens… but now under name ‘Aloha Beach’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- IN PICS: eagle-owls and kestrels ELECTROCUTED by cables in crucial Spanish wetland - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 18:09