IF you thought the English were some of Europe’s most linguistically inept, then think again.
It has emerged that Spain´s grasp of foreign languages really is worse than in the UK.
Almost half of Spain’s adults (46.6 per cent) speak no other language than their own native tongue, according to a new EU survey.
This leaves them sitting just above bottom of the class as the third worst EU country when it comes to speaking a second language.
Only Hungary – where 74.8 per cent cannot speak a foreign language – and Portugal fare worse.
While the UK was found hovering in the lower echelons of the league table, two thirds of the population speak more than one language.
Latvia emerged as the high-flyers with an impressive 97.5 per cent of the country being able to speak at least one foreign language.
The disappointing results have come after the Oxford University Press (OUP) launched a website to overcome Spain’s long-standing problem with Spanglish.
In a bid to highlight the common mistakes it shows well-known Spaniards, such as Jose Maria Aznar and even Franco, speaking in less than perfect
The OUP estimates that only 20 per cent of Spaniards are capable of holding a conversation in a foreign language, against the EU average of 44 per cent.
Hopes are that classic mistakes such as ‘I have 18 years old’ may one day be a mistake made by the minority.
The web address is www.100spanglish.es
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00