A GIBRALTARIAN woman claims her car was impounded after she failed to declare one packet of cigarettes when crossing the border into Spain.
The woman – who wishes to remain anonymous – was ‘totally shocked’ after the Guardia Civil seized her car when they discovered 20 undeclared cigarettes in her glove compartment.
Officers reportedly told her that she would be allowed to go, but they changed their minds and impounded her vehicle.
The incident took place in the middle of the day when the woman took the green lane at the border as she ‘genuinely thought’ she had nothing to declare.
She was pulled over by customs officers who conducted a full search of her vehicle.
When the officer found the packet of cigarettes he held it up and said ‘What’s this?’.
He then told her not to worry and said that they would not detain her car for such a small infringement.
However, another Guardia officer stepped in and after talking with his colleague, told the woman to hand over her passport, car keys and log book.
A frontier customs administrator told the woman she ‘must have caught the GC officer in question, on a bad day.’
After complaining to the Guardia Civil headquarters in Algeciras the car was finally returned.
The Guardia Civil has so far failed to comment.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36